Sonntag, 26. September 2010

Making of the Ultimate Manolo: Sarah Jessica Parker

Hello all, my last piece received an enormous response on Caricaturama Showdown 3000- thank you for all this wonderful feedback! I really appreciate it and it makes me happy to see that may artwork can generate that kind of reaction. 
I thought perhaps some are interested in how this piece was done, here comes:

I always look how people go about a new challenge, which is a great in Caricaturama as you can see many different approaches. So I decided that her chin would really be something to stress...thinking also about what is typical of her I came up with her shoe fetish thing in Sex and the city...after a few reference pics it clicked.
I usually start with digital sketches, this time it was on paper:


At this point the sketch contained enough structure to start blocking in colour.



 The reference shot was very light, so I started to enhance contrast, especially in areas where light met dark.

 The hair was done again with Chris Wahl's wonderful hair brush (the whole piece was painted in CS4).


 The hair was backlit and I painted back and forth a few times until it felt right in terms of contrast.
At the end I thought that the background could use a colour that made it pop- I also changed the proportion of the canvas, as the long shadow needed more room. Changed the contrast a bit more, made some more details- almost done.



Here some details, which were added right at the end:
 The wart was done according to the reference shot, apparently it is slightly transparent...

 The lashes I did on a separate layer to get some nice strokes down which do not smear underlying areas.
And again: the Ultimate Manolo
Prints are available here  Gallery

Kommentare: